Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Thursday is an Ugly Day (Politics)

My blog's had a higher-than-usual ratio of politicial odds and ends lately, but there have been a lot of things finding their way under my skin.  (Plus, quite frankly, I've been so swamped with work and recovery from my book that I've not had the energy to post much technical stuff...)

In particular, this Thursday marks an unprecedented day for free speech in our nation.  Thanks to John McCain and Russ Feingold all broadcast advertising critical of any candidate for federal office will be whisked off the air and blocked until after the election. 

McCain-Feingold is nothing more than a blatant incumbent protection act, and I couldn't care less what McCain's intentions were.  He was an honorable man during his service and captivity, but his political life has been full of junk like this bill and his episode as one of the Keating Five.  (Forgot about that, perhaps?)

I know that many campaign ads are ugly and distorted, but if you can't understand the hit your first amendment rights have taken because of McCain-Feingold then I encourage you to spend a bit of time in reflection or research.

Interesting commentary from an active duty Army guy, some funky UML guy with a Tablet, and another guy with a scathing pen.

No comments:

Subscribe (RSS)

The Leadership Journey