Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Martha Rules

I’m not particularly a big fan of Martha Stewart’s various shows, simply because I don’t care for her style.  She seems more concerned with impressing her guests, where I’m more concerned with making them feel welcome.  (Or at least as welcome as they can feel with two small axe murderers running rampant in the house and me in my sweat pants.)

Regardless of that, I’ve always had great admiration for the amazing empire she’s built though vision, hard work, and sheer determination.  It’s also interesting to see her efforts at an image makeover following her prison and house arrest terms.

So all this leads to her latest product.  I’m very impressed with her book The Martha Rules: 10 Essentials for Achieving Success as You Start, Grow, or Manage a Business. This is a great book with concise, clear ideas on how you need to look at starting and/or running a business.  She does a great job pointing out the need for balancing passion for your project with realism to avoid biting off more than you can chew.  She’s got very good concise thoughts on steps you ought to consider when starting or running your own business, and she hits hard the work you need to do in researching and focusing your product/service.

The book is fairly short (190 or so pages) and is an easy read.  It’s been very thought-provoking for me so far.

No comments:

Subscribe (RSS)

The Leadership Journey