Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Gardening Notes

Notes to myself so I can Google them next year instead of having to beat my head against the wall trying to find my @#^%!! gardening journal my kids have absconded with.

Ground corn gluten meal as a pre-emergent at forsythia bloom time.  ~20lbs per 1000 ft2, setting 12 on Scott’s AccuGreen drop spreader.  Checked dispersal rate by marking out two 50 x 10 areas and putting down 10lbs in each, tweaking spreader setting until the rate was right.

Ringers lawn restore organic fertilizer.  10lbs per 1000ft2, setting 12.5 on spreader. (Pellets vs. CGM meal, so this setting really works.)

Dormant/horticultural oil on pear and apple tree right after bud break.  7Tbs / gal of water.  Soak the trees to hopefully prevent the #%^T#@!! scales that made last year’s crop miserable.  Bummer.

Started spraying roses with Cornell organic spray to control black spot:

  • 2 tbsp. of ultrafine horticultural oil (such as Sunspray™ oil)
  • 1 heaping tbsp. of baking soda
  • 1 tbsp. of fish oil/seaweed emulsion
  • 3-5 drops of Superthrive®

(Spray recipe from GardenWeb’s FAQs)  (I don’t bother with the Superthrive and my roses have done really, really well.)

No comments:

Subscribe (RSS)

The Leadership Journey