Saturday, April 08, 2006

Current Reading List

It’s been awhile since I posted up my reading list, so here goes.

Ronald Spector’s Eagle Against The Sun. Terrific work about the war against Japan.  Lots of very good insight, but it’s a broad treatment so you won’t find detailed coverage of any particular battle or unit.  Part of the reason I like it so much is Spector’s fact-based ripping apart of MacArthur.

Heinlein’s Stranger In A Strange Land. How in the world have I missed this in my decades of lust over good science fiction??

Melvile’s Moby Dick.  It’s that time of the decade again where I try and fail miserably to get through this work.  I’ve no idea why I’ve never managed to complete it.  The style’s not hard and I loved Seven Years Before The Mast which certainly wasn’t any easier in style or tone.

Stephen Perry’s Core C# and .NET.  I’ve not worked through this completely, but it seems to be a pretty good work.  (Yes, this was also on my last reading list…)

Löwy’s Programming .NET Components, 2nd ed.  Löwy seems to generate some passionate debate among my acquaintances on whether or not his approach is too complex and dogmatic.  I think the book’s a very good read, and I think he does a fair job of laying out aspects of design and development you need to carefully consider when implementing for your own system.

Faroult’s The Art of SQL. Interestingly styled after Sun Tzu’s masterpiece The Art of War, Faroult travels down the same paths as Sun.  Just started, but I’m diggin’ it so far.

Now Playing: The Stone Roses — Rhapsody Sampler.  Great music.  I likes it.

3 comments:

Brian H. Prince said...

I have always been a big fan of Heinlein, and love SIASL. I had forgotten about the book for years, until geeks started using the term Grok.

Jim Holmes said...

I didn't mention it in the original post, but this SIASL is Heinlein's original unabridged version. There are another 60K pages in this and it's supposedly quite a different story than the cut version that was first published.

Jim Holmes said...

I'm a dumbass. That's 60K words, not pages.

Subscribe (RSS)

The Leadership Journey