Tuesday, September 20, 2005

My Lousy Linksys Firewall Router

I’ve had a Linksys DSL firewall router (BESFX41 is the model, and no, I won’t link to the piece of junk) for three years now and I’ve had to replace it three times.  It’s an annual occurance, and it appears to be that time of the year again.  I’m having to power cycle the damned thing about every 20 minutes to keep it working long enough for me to research its replacement.  Criminy, what does it take for a company to build a moderately reliable device which lasts more than 12 months?

I’m not a fan of Belkin stuff, so now I’m looking at some of D-Link’s DSL firewall routers.  I’ve not had any experience with D-Link equipment, but Jerry Pournelle seems to be a big fan of them and I think he knows a thing or three about solid home networking.

I’m also not looking at any wireless routers simply because I’m a paranoid security freak.  Besides, I don’t have a wireless laptop so it doesn’t matter anyway.  I can always get wireless at some point down the road.

In the meantime, leave me a comment if you’ve got suggestions on firewall routers to use or avoid.  Minimum requirements for me: four ports, stateful packet inspection, DHCP server.

No comments:

Subscribe (RSS)

The Leadership Journey