Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Current Reading

July, August, and September were stuffed with me reading scads of technical books.  Among the titles I blasted through were, in no particular order:

  • Lean Software Development
  • Effective C#
  • Expert .NET Delivery With NAnt and CruiseControl.NET
  • Visual Studio Hacks
  • Writing Portable Code
  • The .NET Developer’s Guide to Windows Security
  • 19 Deadly Sins of Software Programming

Add to that frequent references to Building Applications and Components with Visual Basic.NET, Programming .NET Components, and Design Patterns.

Needless to say, I was pretty groggy after all that.  A break was in order, so I’ve spent the last ten or so days plowing through Halderman’s Forever series: Forever War, Forever Peace,  and Forever Freedom, plus re-reading Drake’s Counting the Cost.  (I’d given up on trying to re-read Anderson’s Harvest of Stars.  The story was OK, but I just couldn’t get over the hideously campy dialog.  Sorry.)  Also toss in a re-read of Scalzi’s fantastic Old Man’s War just so I could remain positive about the guy after his odd rants on Katrina and poverty.

Now, to steal a line from The Holy Grail, I’m feeling much better.  I think I’ll go for a walk.  Or at least get back to trying to get some decent writing and coding done, not to mention trying to get back into the study grove so I can knock off another MCSD test which I’ve been procrastinating for far too long…

Now Playing: Little Feat – Let It Roll.  Amazing how iTunes’s “Shuffle” feature will remind you about some great music you’d lost track of for a whole lot of years.

No comments:

Subscribe (RSS)

The Leadership Journey