Friday, June 03, 2005

Resharper: Great Tool

So everyone else and their mother most likely knows this already, but Resharper is a killer tool! I've just been playing with it a day and I'm in love already. Resharper gives you much better control over code formatting, including lots of options for brace placement. (My personal pet peeve is braces on a new line from their method, loop, etc. Whitespace is good. More whitespace isn't.) The code completion is much more functional than VS, and the templates give me the kind of snippet generation capabilities I had when using the Java Development Environment in Emacs. (Abreviations where you enter "iter" and you get a context-appropriate iterator loop, for example.) Plenty of refactoring tools, too -- and the 'rename' option actually digs down into .resx files, unlike Velocitis' Flywheel which I've been playing around with off and on for several months. Another great thing is Resharper's error support. You'll get suggestions on how to fix issues, plus there's a green/orange/red status indicator right next to the vertical scrollbar in the code window. Problem lines get their own marker, so it's quick and easy to see where you might think about changing something. I've just scratched the surface of Resharper, but I think it's going to be very helpful to me!

No comments:

Subscribe (RSS)

The Leadership Journey