Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Forgotten Passwords for MSDE 2000 or SQL Server?

I know I never have, but here's a fix in case you have: while logged on as a user with admin privileges, change the login security mode to Windows Integrated. Use osql -E to log on, then use sp_password to change the sa account's password. Remember password or note it in a secure place. Change back to the appropriate security mode and you're set. You'll need to first stop the MSDE or SQL service, plus close out any apps (including VS) which might be using the services. There's a good article covering this on Microsoft's help site. I stumbled across this while looking for something else, because I'd never, ever forget a password. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

No comments:

Subscribe (RSS)

The Leadership Journey