Thursday, February 23, 2006

My Speaking Gig at Dayton

Last night I gave a talk on “Intro to Security” at the Dayton .NET Developers Group.  The talk went well and folks seemed genuinely happy with my mix of content — mostly talking with some diving into example code.

An intro security talk is really, really tough to lay out!  There’s so much to talk about, and how do you decide to filter down to what you can reasonably cover in 90 minutes?  I ended up being pretty happy with my mix, but I did get some good feedback for fine-tuning the presentation for future gigs.

I also used a mix of styles from Lessig, Hardt, and Takahasi.  My audience seemed pretty happy with the format, and several were happy not to have oodles of lousy bullet points tossed their way.  So I got that going for me.

You can find my slide deck and example code here.  There’s a lot of extra content slides in the deck which were hidden for last night’s gig.

3 comments:

Jason Follas said...

Cool! Look out speaking circuit, there's another Holmes on the loose!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have made it. It looks like you had a little Tom Peters mixed in with the styles as well :)

Just say no to bullets!

Jim Holmes said...

Jason: Thanks. I'm much more dangerous than that other Holmes fellow. :)

Ben: I'd say "Bullets suck!" but that would be improper etiquette for my blog. (But they suck bad.) I really dig Tom Peters' content and style, but I can *not* stand his color palate selections!!

Subscribe (RSS)

The Leadership Journey