Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Joys of IE's CSS "Support"

Not.

I’ve redone the look of the Dayton .NET Developers Group’s website, thanks to inspiration from Lee Sledge, the son of our group’s treasurer.  I never claimed to have any graphic skills, and it showed.  Lee’s concept is a lot cleaner — but I needed to move it from table-based layout to CSS.

Shiny when you’re working with Firefox, sucky when you’re dealing with IE.

Good fixes I found on the net:

Also, watch for elements bouncing out of IE’s display when heights aren’t large enough.  Firefox deals with it nicely, IE craps out.

Boy, am I glad I don’t have to deal with this on a daily basis!

2 comments:

Jeff Handley said...

Kind of ironic... Dave Donaldson just posted a blog entry recently about how table-based layouts still work...

http://loudcarrot.com/Blogs/dave/archive/2006/02/12/5871.aspx

I commented on his blog that the phrase, "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" comes to mind for me.

I'm a die-hard table-based layout guy and I'm yet to see the need to move toward CSS-based layouts. Don't get me wrong, I use CSS heavily, just not to define layout. My table-based layouts work in all browsers with virtually no extra effort.

Jim Holmes said...

I only do web layout on rare occasions, so I'm far from the experienced geek on this matter. I also think that this topic is much like the DataSet vs. Biz Objects debate. I saw Dave's blog post and your comment the other day, too.

That said, my meager reading on the matter convinced me of the benefits of moving to CSS-based layouts. Much of my struggle is because I don't do this often enough to be familiar with the pitfalls of IE.

I'm also smart enough to realize that, like the DataSet vs. Biz Objects, one shouldn't be so inflexible as to admit benefits from the other camp's viewpoint!

Subscribe (RSS)

The Leadership Journey