Last month my Plextor 716A CD/DVD +–awholelottaletters all of a sudden started burning DVDs at the speed of molasses. It was taking me nearly 30 minutes to burn a 4GB DVD. This sucked considerably since I had to burn 50–ish DVDs for our DevGroup’s Visual Studio 2005 Launch last month.
Today I finally got around to taking a closer look at the problem. Everything in Device Manager looked shiny, and the drivers for the drive and bus were both up to date. However, I found a new firmware version (1.0.9) on Plextor’s site. That’s since been installed and now everything’s back up to snuff. DVDs are taking only six to eight minutes to burn. Much nicer!