Over the next 31 days I’ll be hitting a broad range of topics. Many of the follow on posts will be general or high level, although I’ll be diving in to some more technical aspects when it comes time to cover things like mocking, data setup, etc. I’m kicking this off somewhat spur of the moment, so the flow of the overall series may be a little disconnected and clunky. Sue me.
Some of the broad themes I’ll be covering include
- Building a culture and team that cherishes testing
- Building testing skills and team collaboration
- Different kinds of automated and manual testing
- Avoiding brittle, unmaintainable tests
- Infrastructure for testing
- Keeping your tests running quickly
- Keeping your tests focused on value
- Deciding what to test and what to automate
- Why *DD isn’t about testing, it’s about development
I’ll keep updating this specific post with links to follow on articles as I post them.
Do feel free to add in suggestions for topics. I’ll refactor as I go based on customer (reader!) input.
I hope you enjoy the series. I’m looking forward to it!
UPDATED: Here’s the index of posts in the series!
- Day 1: The Kickoff (like, this post)
- Day 2: Setting Expectations
- Day 3: More Collaboration, Not Less
- Day 4: Sustainable Pace, Sensible Flow
- Day 5: Choosing What To Test
- Day 6: Types of Automated Testing
- Day 7: Automated Test Basics
- Day 8: Pay Attention to Your Tests’ Setup!
- Day 9: Readable Tests
- Day 10: Mocking Out Dependencies
- Day 11: Maintainable Functional Automation
- Day 12: Functional Test 101
- Day 13: Functional Test 201 (Common Problems)
- Day 14: Tests as Specifications
- Day 15: Cucumber is Not A QA Tool
- Day 16: Testing Web Services
- Day 17: Rules for Effective Data-Driven Tests
- Day 18: Baseline Datasets
- Day 19: Refactoring a “Monster” Functional Test, Part 1
- Day 20: Refactoring a “Monster” Functional Test, Part 2
- Day 21: Data Driving Your Functional Tests
- Day 22: Why Collaboration Matters (A Real World Example)
- Day 23: Acceptance Tests & Criteria in the Real World
- Day 24: Getting Serious About Performance
- Day 25: Performance Testing, Part 2