Thursday, April 15, 2010

Fixing “Invalid search path” for LIB environment variable in MSBuild

Problem: Trying to run msbuild.exe against a .sln file results in a failed build with an error message containing the error

error CS1668 : Warning as error : Invalid search path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\lib'
specified in 'LIB environment variable' -- 'The system cannot find the path specified. '

Examining the path C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A shows no \lib folder present.

Solution: Simply add an empty \lib folder. MSBuild doesn’t actually need anything in the SDKs folder for most builds; however, the vsvars32.bat file sets that directory as the LIB environment variable anyway.

This hacky fix has worked for me on a number of different systems and I’ve yet to run across any real issues. I’m blogging it here so I’ll remember next time without having to spend too much time searching…

4 comments:

Joe said...

Thanks for leaving this online Jim...I was trying to build this morning from the cmd line and just ran into this. :)

-Joe

Anonymous said...

Made my day, thx!

Anonymous said...

you're the best! thanks a lot for this hack.
-iyab

Anonymous said...

thanks for posting this fix! this warning started showing up the other day and was really bugging me.

Subscribe (RSS)

The Leadership Journey